Is Uganda expensive to travel to? Uganda is not an expensive destination to travel to when it comes to all African safaris. It is a budget-friendly destination and attracts all categories of visitors across the world. Compared to the rest of the East African countries such as Tanzania, Kenya, and Rwanda; Uganda remains the most affordable tourism destination.
From meals, transport, and places to stay, Uganda offers budget-friendly rates. The rates for safaris are quoted in Ugandan shillings or US Dollars. Even if you are visiting Uganda for gorilla trekking, you need USD 700 to book a valid gorilla permit as opposed to USD 1500 in Rwanda for you to enjoy the same experience.
Breakdown of rates for Uganda safaris
When planning a safari to Uganda (the Pearl of Africa) here are some of the factors you must keenly take a look at.
- The petrol, costs between USD 1 and 1.5 per liter. Hiring a car for your road trip is possible at USD 40 to USD 150.
- National Park entry fees –USD 40 or 45 per 24 hours per person. About USD 8 for car entry while camping permits are available at USD 6 per visitor per night.
- Visitors can enjoy a 3-course meal at the classic safari lodge or hotel inside Uganda National Parks at USD 12 or USD 17.
- The lodging options or accommodation rates are within visitors’ wallet size. In all the destinations visited by tourists on Uganda safaris, it is possible to find 3 categories of accommodation- budget, midrange, and luxury. The budget option which includes camping can be booked at USD 10 or USD 80. Midrange or moderate/standard accommodation goes at USD 80 or USD 175 per night while deluxe can be got at USD 175 to USD 500.
Prices for food stuff are slightly lower than the average food rates in the United States. Here is a simple breakdown;
- A kilo of sausage costs USD 13
- 10 eggs can be bought at UGX 5400 about 1.5 US Dollars.
- A liter of milk USD 0.63 –UGX 2300
- One kilo of apples at 2.80 US Dollars about 10,000 Uganda shillings.
- 5kg of bread is available at USD 1.10, about US Dollars 4000.
- A bottle of local beer at 3500 to 5000 UGX.
If you are visiting Uganda, make the best use of local specialties. This is the quickest way to order whatever you need in a local restaurant. A good meal in a middle-class restaurant can be enjoyed at USD 23 about UGX 84000. Even the rates of accommodation are far lower than the average rate in the United States. A hotel room can be booked at USD 30 and a 3-star hotel at USD 51.
What makes Uganda famous?
Many things make Uganda the most popular destination in Africa and interestingly, it is a nature-based tourism destination. The country’s iconic attractions include mountain gorillas and the largest population of these apes lives in the two National Parks – Mgahinga Gorilla National Park and Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
Other unusual primates such as golden monkeys, chimpanzees, l’hoest monkeys, Uganda mangabeys, and more –make Uganda the leading primate safari destination in the world. The Equator crossing, Uganda happens to be among the very few nations in the world that is crossed by the Equator and a stopover can be made at the Equator landmark en-route to Bwindi for gorilla trekking.
Murchison Falls, one of the most powerful waterfalls is right here in Uganda and tourists can explore it on a Uganda tour in Murchison Falls National Park. The diversity of wildlife ranging from the big 5 game to small mammals, reptiles and bird species, etc are some of the amazing attractions that make Uganda a great destination.